View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
2.2Lude
Base Member

Drives: 12 Infiniti G37s 6MT
2.2Lude is on a distinguished road
Default G37 Track Set Up. Oversteer Help.

Hey guys, I wanted to see if anyone has any experience or insight to help me resolve an oversteer issue I'm having with my G37 sedan on track. I know it's a longer wheel base than the Z but figured the majority of the set up should be the about the same.

In this video at points 4:20, 6:20, 9:35, and 12:18:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhwAMIxMYUw

In this video at 2:25 I did lose it. I'm not sure why the backend came around soo late but I think I made it worse by getting on the throttle while trying to correct it.:
(youtube is still processing the HD version as of the time of this post)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGwI_ZrYCHI

Here is the set up relative to the issue:

- Tanabe Pro CR Coilovers 10k Front/9k Rear. Pretty damn soft dampening.
- Eibach front bar set to full stiff
- Factory rear bar
- Square 18x9.5 +45 PF01's with square 275/40 MPSS's(+35 front with spacer, still +45 rear. Rear spacers/studs to go on soon)
- G-Loc R12/R10 combo
- Bell Raceworks diff brace
- Kinetix front camber arms(Will be coming off soon, they aren't meant to add negative camber without modifying them)
- Aim for 38 hot front/ 36 hot rear PSI

Fresh alignment specs:

Front Left/Right camber: -.9/-1.1
Front Total Toe: 0
Front Left/right Caster: 5.7/5.8

Rear Left/Right camber: -1.5/-1.6
Rear left/Right toe: .11/.13
Rear total toe: .23

About myself: Very much a newbie with about 10 HPDE's under my belt and only 6-7 in the RWD G. I built some bad throttle application habits by driving with traction on that I'm working on slowing down and unlearning now. I've taken one skidpad/car control course which was beyond helpful and getting me off the right foot as far oversteer correction is concerned.

Problem is I don't trust the car to remain predictable with the traction off/yaw sensor bypassed. I know I carry more speed than I should at times into some corners but the rear end wants to come around even when I slow my entry speeds down.

I was working with a coach over the weekend who drives a Nismo 370z and he noticed the same thing. The car just feels sketchy and it's really slowing down my progression as a driver. I'm not chasing lap times just trying to become a better driver and hoping to eventually get into time attack stuff down the road(not in the G). With that said my current PB at Laguna Seca is a 1:52.0 and I can consistently run 1:53's.

Here are my thoughts:

1. The car isn't corner balanced but the ride height is even front/rear at the pinch welds.

2. Could the +10mm front to rear wheel stagger be causing this kind of issue.

3. +2 psi Front tire pressures compared to the rear helped a little.

4. Too much traction upfront compared to the rear is causing the rear to be loose. Should I run a staggered tire set up to reduce some front grip? I really don't want to do that. Maybe set the front bar to soft or even go back to stock bar?

5. I wanted to add more negative camber up front(why I got those camber arms, even though they actually reduced my max negative camber compared to the factory arms) but that will only increase front grip and make the oversteer worse?

6. Maybe add some front spring. 10k front/9k rear might be too close in relation. Going a little passed my knowledge base.

Last edited by 2.2Lude; 01-04-2022 at 08:16 PM.
2.2Lude is offline   Reply With Quote