View Single Post
Old 12-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
SonicVQ
Base Member

Drives: G37 Sport
SonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond repute

Sensor 1 is the wide band, air/fuel sensor before the cat, aka pre-cat sensor.
Sensor 2 is the narrow band O2 sensor that is after the cat, aka post-cat.

The catalyst test for efficiency compares the air/fuel values to the O2 sensor values.
A healthy cat has the ability to store oxygen, so the sensor 2 lean to rich or rich to lean switching time is slower than the sensor 1 change from lean to rich or rich to lean.

In your case, the rich/lean and lean/rich signals of sensor 1 will be similar that of sensor 2. This means the catalyst is not operating at the required level and a P0420/P0430 is triggered.

I am not aware of any tune that can get a monitor to run and pass. As far as I know, the only way to get the monitor to run is to do the required "drive cycle"... and then it will only "complete" or pass if the test criteria is met.

I can't see that happening without a cat.

What did you do other years to pass emissions?
SonicVQ is offline   Reply With Quote