Thread: Gas Pedal Delay
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 05:28 AM   #1018 (permalink)
ZPWR
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370z Sport
ZPWR has a reputation beyond reputeZPWR has a reputation beyond reputeZPWR has a reputation beyond reputeZPWR has a reputation beyond reputeZPWR has a reputation beyond reputeZPWR has a reputation beyond reputeZPWR has a reputation beyond reputeZPWR has a reputation beyond reputeZPWR has a reputation beyond reputeZPWR has a reputation beyond reputeZPWR has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. This thread was a damn good read. All the way from the 1st page. Only reason I'm here is because of that dreaded gas pedal delay and laggy throttle response. Heat soak and IAT sounds like a logical cause. The reason I'm sure is because throttle response during warm up from cold start is nice and crisp as many have stated already. But once that oil temps warm up you can definitely feel a decline in throttle response at low rev ranges below 3k vs what your input is with the gas pedal.

That one video that showed the behaviour of the revs with quick slamming of the pedal vs gradual smooth input is really telling. That rev hanging under acceleration is also interesting which is exactly what I experience when the engine is hot either from DD'ing or a little spirited driving with the gas pedal delay. I'm hoping someone here can explain this phenomenon with the VQ37.

One thing that hasn't been touched much over the 50+ pages of this thread is if running lean or excessively lean, or a hidden vacuum leak would cause poor throttle response due to the ECU retarding the timing for VVEL to protect further engine damage. I know watching the behaviours of short trim fuels is a good way to tell if you're running too lean or too rich.

But basically the current solution is:
1. Get a tune with improved throttle maps
2. Isolate heatsoak
3. Somehow retrofit more fans to improve cooling (no idea if anyone has done this)
4. Install and keep throttle controllers (sprintbooster) for the added placebo effect

Unless some tuners have found the golden ticket to finally eliminating this problem. I would really like to know. Many Z owners would benefit from this.

After reading this monster of a thread my conclusion would be to just get a tune and install sprintbooster incase it is needed for really hot ambient temp days. And see how it goes from there. Might look into some heat soak solutions later on too.

It's a shame the VQ37VHR doesn't have better heat management systems. Otherwise this v6 would be amazing.

Last edited by ZPWR; 12-19-2021 at 05:34 AM.
ZPWR is offline   Reply With Quote