View Single Post
Old 12-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #841 (permalink)
Ventruck
Track Member

Drives: '13 Sport+Touring M6
Ventruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond reputeVentruck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averying View Post
Ignoring the lap 1 incident… to me it comes down to the fact that Mercedes did not prepare Lewis for a safety car towards the end the race. Lapped cars always end up unlapping themselves under a safety car, which is what happened today.

Should the FIA have made the decision to unlap the cars from the start of the safety car? Yes. Really not sure why they made this call so late.

Did the lapped cars not being allowed to originally unlap themselves affect MB decision to stay out on the hard tires? I’m not sure.

Yes Lewis was the faster driver today, and sure Red Bull needed 100 things to fall into place for max to end up in the perfect situation with 1 lap to go, but I still think MB made some wrong calls regarding tire strategies which led to Lewis being unprepared for a safety car. MB, with their lead at the time, could have easily reacted to Max’s pit stop after the Giovinazzi incident, resulting in Lewis having newer tires just like Max.

So in summary… the FIA needs to have more set-in-stone rules that follow a predetermined procedure, MB screwed up a tire decision, and RB got lucky with how the race unfolded in their hands, despite Lewis clearly being the faster car today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much how I see it. FIA was sloppy with this, and season, and in the end Lewis and Max never really dropped the ball when it came to driving.

Sure enough Toto will Toto because that's his job, but I think even Lewis can just accept this and look to next year to take over. A lot of these events were atypical so he knows he's not declining unless the car absolutely lets him down.

Congratulations to Max. A lot of titles don't come on the exact or more "legitimate" terms, but what it took to be in contention, all he could do was seize his opportunities, and he did. End of the day, he did his job and not everyone could've executed this with the same circumstances.
Ventruck is offline   Reply With Quote