View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 10:06 AM   #6078 (permalink)
Ghostvette
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 Magma Red 6MT
Ghostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABAM View Post
A lot of more info has come out after I made that post. Parents definitely need to be held responsible. I bet they were "not my son" parents, never believing the red flags people were pointing out. This tragedy could have been prevented. So many missed opportunities by the parents and school to catch him before it happened. I'm still scratching my head on why the school didn't search his bag after seeing that note. A note like that, with his history, in the late 90s, even before Columbine, would have gotten his stuff searched at my high school. People being too worried about hurting peoples feelings cause a lot more issues than it solves.

I do feel that the parents need to be held responsible in some way but I'm not sure involuntary manslaughter charges are appropriate. In another discussion I was in some one brought up what if the shooter had used a knife or a car? Some people were saying the only reason that the parents were charged because a gun was used. Some lawyers are saying the parents have been over charged and this might cause them to not be convicted. Now the parents running doesn't help their case and that was very stupid of them. Kind of points to them not making wise decisions.

Just a thought, my dad bought me a pistol while I was in high school. I never had direct control over it and my dad was careful to keep all the guns locked up. Parents buying pistols for their underage kids is not a new thing and not irresponsible. Ignoring the signs that your kid might have issues and buying him a gun anyway, then not securing it is irresponsible.
I got a rifle at 16, but I'd been through hunter safety and other training.

I'm not sure how the prosecutor came up with 'involuntary manslaughter' for the parents, in some respects, it smacks of over-reach. However, the parents 'fleeing' and being arrested/located in the basement of a commercial building says 'I'm a moron and can't face up to my chit'. It's not quite 'interstate flight to avoid prosecution', but it is probably considered 'flight to avoid prosecution'. The 4473 asks if the person buying the firearm is the 'final owner', so a case could be made that it was a 'strawman' purchase. That one is above my paygrade.