View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mr.K
Base Member

Drives: 2017 370z Nismo
Mr.K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
How serious are you on the track? Because it sounds like you're looking to spend a lot of time/money trying to fix a problem that isn't really a problem.

I definitely would not use weight distribution as the deciding factor on whether to go SC or VR30. There are far more relevant factors.
You are right in saying that the issue I'm having isn't really a "problem". I don't think I would ever take my car to be a serious track machine as I would be getting rid of a lot of creature comforts as I still want it to be streetable, but the way I see it is if it can be improved in some way then that is a plus in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takemorepills View Post
If I were inclined to do a VR30 swap, I'd wait for the new Z to come out, get wrecked and buy a donor 6MT car and swap the entire engine, 6MT, ECU, IPDM, EPS, keyless system over.
That way you'd have a fully sorted car that complies with the latest emission requirements.
Currently the only donor for a VR30 is the 7AT-only Infiniti Q cars. I haven't seen a fully-sorted VR30 swap yet. I know there are some good running swaps, but they don't have EPS (no provisions for hydraulic PS on VR30 AFAIK) so they don't have power steering, and I know that the ECU isn't intended for a 6MT car.
If I were to go with the VR30 swap route, I would be doing something like this. Mainly because the new revised VR30 has changes that make it more suitable for better performance and all the original issues with wiring would be sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Doing a VR swap sounds nice but...........Your car will be down longer than you think. Getting everything sorted out. Going with the SC, you could pound it out in a week. You won't notice the extra weight, believe me. Some trackrats have been bolting down lead weight in the rear to balance out the car. There is no way to remove enough off the front to balance it to 50/50 unless you move the engine back 8".
Yes the downtime is something to think about, but it wouldn't be a deciding factor for me as I have other means of transportation. Although I do want to say that I am NOT looking to achieve a 50/50 ratio as it would require a lot more money and more weight added and would just be unrealistic. I would be looking for something closer to 52/48 distribution but I would have to increase the overall weight of the car and depending on which route I take I would be adding either something like 60lbs or something like 180lbs to offset the weight at the front.

Last edited by Mr.K; 11-01-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Mr.K is offline   Reply With Quote