View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Leingod
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: In Circles
Leingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhovah View Post
Back from the dead. A few months after this post the switch stopped working again. 4.5 years later, I finally decided to do something about it.

So I located the switch on the drivers side of the trans, just a bit forward of the shifter. From under the car, there is a bracket in the way -- and for whatever reason, Nissan has the bracket attached with three 12mm bolts even though it only seems to hold wiring harness clips. Why?!

I got the lower two bolts off, but I can't get a wrench on the top bolt. The odd shape of the bracket kind of prevents me from accessing the bolt from most directions. Of course the FSM just says "remove bracket".

I was able to get a deep socket slipped onto it, but there wasn't enough room between it and the wall of the tunnel to get a wrench on it too. I might try getting the socket on and then grabbing the end of it with a pair of vice grips but I am not sure I'll be able to get enough torque to break it loose. May also try two swivels and see if that will let me get to it.

Anyone here access this area before and have any tips on getting that bracket out of the way?

Yup. And it's a nightmare no matter what you do. Some of us have had good luck using a flex head stubby ratchet wrench from GearWrench.

If yoy haven't, drop the black support brackets slightly. That'll help give yoy a spare inch or so of wiggle room.