View Single Post
Old 10-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBacon View Post
No, bigger brakes does not exactly equate to better stopping distances. Pretty common misconception.

Your tires and even suspension is where that comes from. Having extra pistons on a caliper distributes the force on the pad and rotor which reduces heating for heavy brake use (many hard braking in a short time or lots of weight from a heavy car or towing something). As long as the brakes have the ability to overcome the traction of the tires then there is effectively no difference in a single emergency stop situation.
Which is why this guy is fine with the base brakes. There's a lot of variables that go into braking, of course. I realize an earlier statement I made is not exactly clear - it was a response to a statement I misread.

The time that it takes smaller brakes to reach that threshold vs bigger brakes is quite small, I'll give you that. But in an emergency situation, that can mean the difference between an impact or not. All other things being equal, that is.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote