View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 08:25 PM   #551 (permalink)
DrBacon
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2014 Nismo
DrBacon has a reputation beyond reputeDrBacon has a reputation beyond reputeDrBacon has a reputation beyond reputeDrBacon has a reputation beyond reputeDrBacon has a reputation beyond reputeDrBacon has a reputation beyond reputeDrBacon has a reputation beyond reputeDrBacon has a reputation beyond reputeDrBacon has a reputation beyond reputeDrBacon has a reputation beyond reputeDrBacon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
This is true to an extent. SOHO and I believe even the Ace kit was offered with a turboguard not because of belt slip. They were offered because more airflow equals more power. A good example is the attached dyno sheet. While my car was on the dyno, I had one run done with a turboguard and one with the NGR screen which has smaller mesh than the turboguard. You can see that with the NGR screen it lost almost 1.5psi and a little over 30 whp. There was no belt slip. It was due to air restriction.

But, parasitic loss definitely plays a part too, that's why superchargers can actually be harder on a motor than turbochargers. The motor has to work harder especially when you start getting into the higher boost levels
I didn't go into much detail but that was effectively my point when I said a clean k&n filter is capable of flowing enough air to support 15psi given all belt slip is eliminated. Clearly that mesh screen you used couldn't flow enough air to support the desired boost. As the k&n filter becomes dirty and airflow is restricted one of two things will happen, the belts will either begin to slip as the drag on them is increased or you will simply lose boost. It seems around the 6 month mark with fairly often driving is when the filter needs to be replaced or cleaned to prevent that.

I have a turboguard on the car at the moment but I've never checked what peak boost it's making, I would assume it's still probably about the same.
DrBacon is offline   Reply With Quote