Thread: Fyi
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tedmeister
Base Member

Drives: 12 M6
Tedmeister has a reputation beyond reputeTedmeister has a reputation beyond reputeTedmeister has a reputation beyond reputeTedmeister has a reputation beyond reputeTedmeister has a reputation beyond reputeTedmeister has a reputation beyond reputeTedmeister has a reputation beyond reputeTedmeister has a reputation beyond reputeTedmeister has a reputation beyond reputeTedmeister has a reputation beyond reputeTedmeister has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got everything back together. It was a big pain in the rear to get
the upper oil pan out and the replacement one in. I ended up lifting the engine
high enough to pull it out over the suspension. Spent the money on AEM temp and pressure sensor and gauges. Installed the pressure sensor, which is a lot
smaller than the Autometer sensor, with an AN adapter to the oil cooler.
So now I have very precise temp and pressure readings.
I drove the car around the neighborhood and had a hard time getting the temps
up to good operating temp. Pressure was as high as 120 psi with the temp slowly creeping up. Had to keep revs above 3000 to keep heating the oil.
My concern is that at the track the highest temps I saw was 210 in the oil pan.
From there the oil goes through the cooler before being pumped through the engine. Does that mean the oil is only 180 to 190 as it enters the engine?
That is just into the minimum temp for elevating the revs above the low range.
I do not have a thermostatic adapter, I figured for a track only car in Florida, that there would never be a time when not want to have my oil cooled.
Is the heating process putting too much stress on seals, and do I need to get
a thermostatic adapter?
Tedmeister is offline   Reply With Quote