View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 02:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildky View Post
Anyone know the difference between the 09-2015 and the 2015-2020 pump design?

They are different part numbers, what little I can see from images online they appear to be identical. As far as I can tell the aftermarket pump solutions work on all years so I'm assuming that the wiring connection and the hose connection are the same and perhaps it has an improved internal design. Anyone done an A/B comparison?

Why am I asking? I've been fighting the fuel starvation so many others have. I experienced starvation on track at 3/4 tank. I opened up the venturi orifice and added a couple of lower holes in the fuel cup and was able to run to maybe 5/8 tank. This weekend my fuel gauge went bonkers, decided to go ahead and order the anti starvation kit. Opened the gas tank last night to find my pump had broken off the hat and the sender arm had come off. So now I need at the very least a hat.

What am I really after? A plug and play solution wiht the least dollars spent. Considering the cost of the hat plus the anti starvation kit might as well get the CJ twin pump but I don't want to rework the whole damned system. Is there a configuration that improves the siphon without having the convert to a return style system? Did the 2015 updated pump fix any of the starvation problems? To be clear, I REALLY REALLY DO NOT want to have to convert to a return system.
The only difference in the later hats, that makes any difference at all to the user, is a different harness connector. Earlier than that, there was a revision to put a spring on each of the 2 rods, but that doesn't solve anything.

Any anti-starvation kit installed to the left side of the tank, will all require repairing/replacing the top hat on the right side of the tank.

CJM has a surge tank add-on kit nearly available for the twin pump, which is a full right side replacement... but as you have observed, to run that twin pump requires a return fuel system since it does not have a regulator or filter integrated to it like the stock unit does. Mostly just because there is no space for those when a second pump is added. A fabricator could put those components in place of the second pump, but it would not be too simple thus not inexpensive unless you were familiar enough to make those modifications yourself.

You asked about ways to improve the siphon... that is a yes. You can improve the siphon and accelerate fuel recovery to the right side of the tank. If you installed a larger output fuel pump, and put in perhaps a pair of venturi pumps on the pressure side of the system, you could easily add 150-160lph of left to right transfer on top of the stock venturi system. It should help reduce slosh starvation a lot, but there are no guides / how-to for doing this, so you would be a little on your own other than some advice I could lend. Without having tested such a setup, I have no comment to what extent it would reduce or prevent slosh starvation.

Last edited by phunk; 08-06-2021 at 03:35 AM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote