View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 06:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
victorofhavoc
Base Member

Drives: 2014 370z
victorofhavoc is on a distinguished road

This year I've missed sessions due to a caliper piston getting stuck during a pad change, a rough paddock breaking off an oil cooler 90* fitting, an end plate on my wing rip off, and breaking a splitter on track.

In each of these cases I fought to get everything fixed and was able to get back out there. The stuck pads needed two long, flat, strong screwdrivers. The oil cooler fitting needed vice grips, two kinds of wrenches, oil, room for leverage and a lot of paper towels for cleanup. The end plate i just ran without but later made some carbon ones and I've since been bringing a blank sheet of carbon and snips in case I need other field repairs. The broken splitter I took off and replaced with the sport lip.

I have since gone to the Dewalt tough system rolly bin and even bought their 150-180$ socket set that snaps in. I first bought a cheap husky set, but nothing would stay in place and the drawers kept sticking. For 50$ more the Dewalt kit is 2x the box and tool quality.

I carry two impacts, one for screws, bolts, and other small things and the other is a full size 500lbft lugnut breaking machine. I once had to swap slicks to wets to slicks to wets to slicks, and despite the different lugnut sizes (why are they always different??) I got the total effort down to <15 mins, by myself and about 10 with help!

The Dewalt system can be clunky since you're not towing to have the trailer space, but if you ever have room, it's worth it. I just roll everything onto the trailer and have tools to fix almost anything. Nothing to think about anymore for prep since spare rotors, plugs, lugnut, sensors, etc are all neatly packed away!