View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 01:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
MotorvateDIY
Base Member

Drives: G37 Sport
MotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond repute

Since my last post, I have an additional 30+ hours reverse engineering the gauges. I really don't know what is wrong with me, but I LOVE this type of work!!

On the CAN bus I have found:
Paddle shifters (up & down), outside temp, all of the LCD images (middle of the G37 gauges), all of the warning lights, driver & passenger seat belt buckle status,
and two very interesting ones:

• Amount of fuel consumed since engine start
• Raw data of the fuel level float. I had no idea how much those float arms move!!

To give you an idea of the scope of the task here is some simple math:
Each ID the gauges receive typically have a payload of 8 data bytes.
That 8 bytes can be 8 values for an analog sensor, or 64 bits used for switch (lights on) or system status (engine off, engine running)
-OR- any mix of the above.

Now that was for a single CAN ID, most modules receive data from multiple IDs and the only way to find out, is to send specific data to a specific ID and see what happens.

In the next few days I will have some CAN logs from a 370z and will feed it to my G37 gauges. I am 99% certain everything will work as I would think the encoding is the same.

By the way, while sending speedometer data to the gauge cluster to figure out the "fuel consumed" my odometer went up just over 320 KM / 199 miles while on my desk!
MotorvateDIY is offline   Reply With Quote