View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #27 (permalink)
Tractionless
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 K23 ST 7AT
Tractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
I avoid applying the E brake with my 7AT. Rear rotors get to 650F after cool down and the hat piece is right next to it, which is where the drum brakes are, too.
I have no idea how hot the stock drum pads can get before fusing but have always heard to not use the e-brake after getting off the track.

The 7AT has a parking pawl that locks so you get a transmission brake which has no chance of fusing due to heat.

That said, I don't move my car after it's parked either. Nor do I do it with my E36, which gets almost to just 100F less on rotor temps. While I worry a bit on uneven cooling due to the caliper trapping more heat, it hasn't been enough to crack a rotor.
I wouldn't keep my foot on the brake neither. I don't even do so on the street as you can see where the marcel builds up on the rotor which causes shuddering etc. that will then be diagnosed as warpage by someone trying to sell you parts. Can simply have the rotors turned to remove the marcel as long as they are within the service limits.