View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 04:59 PM   #5892 (permalink)
VABAM
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: with VDC off.
VABAM has a reputation beyond reputeVABAM has a reputation beyond reputeVABAM has a reputation beyond reputeVABAM has a reputation beyond reputeVABAM has a reputation beyond reputeVABAM has a reputation beyond reputeVABAM has a reputation beyond reputeVABAM has a reputation beyond reputeVABAM has a reputation beyond reputeVABAM has a reputation beyond reputeVABAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
Since I havent had a chance to make some ammo, and how scarce it is here to find it retail, I decided to take up Archery. Its pretty fun and cheap (relative high front end though). I have a few free outdoor ranges near me, so win win!
I need dust off my bow. I was really into archery years ago to the point I was thinking about doing some amateur indoor archery competitions. Even have a fancy competition bow too. One day I just stopped. Not sure why.

What are you shooting?

Feel free to talk my ear off about archery!

One of biggest things about archery, especially compound bows, is regardless of what you're are shooting a $2k or $200 setup get it adjusted to you. A properly adjusted bow makes all the difference. Properly adjusted bow gets you in the ball park, technique and practice get you the rest of the way. It's hard to get your technique down with an out of wack compound bow.

My first bow was a Sport Authority special and even after taking it to a "Pro Shop" to have it adjusted couldn't get consistent groupings or even consistently hit the target. After that I had to go back to my duty station (I was in the Navy at the time) in SC. Found a archery range near where I was that off the beaten path a little. The place was full of good old boy bow hunters. One literally said after I shot my first arrow "Who da **** adjusted that bow?!?". I am sooo grateful for that range/shop. They got my bow dialed in, then dialed me in. I had pick up some bad habits from the badly adjusted bow. I went from completely missing the target some of the time to 6 inch groups in one afternoon. Even with that POS SA bow after awhile I had to be careful about how many arrows I put into one target because I was shooting the nocks out of my arrows. Never Robin Hooded an arrow but I got close. With my competition bow I only put one arrow in each target. That sucker is very accurate and consistent.

Last edited by VABAM; 07-02-2021 at 02:15 AM.
VABAM is offline   Reply With Quote