View Single Post
Old 06-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #505 (permalink)
Spooler
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Nismo 370z
Spooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
What's the primary failure on headlift (headgasket, head bolts)?
The guy that had 22psi failure was due to head lift. The other one that started to overheat was due to the cylinders moving around. That eventually will wear down the headgasket and cause a failure. There are 2 problems going on.

1.) The open deck cylinders moving around wearing out the headgaskets which creates an appearance that the head is lifting due to the decrease in clamping force from the wear.

2.) Actual head lift where the cylinder pressure is greater than what can be held by headgasket, Head studds, etc.

Both combined together is very unpredictable of what the actual cause was. That is why there are only 2 methods that are working at the moment. I made it 7k miles with mostly 17psi of boost before my first engine cut loose. That was an open deck block.

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by Spooler; 06-20-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Spooler is offline   Reply With Quote