View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 06:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
ChrisDrift
Base Member

Drives: 370Z
ChrisDrift is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Making progress.

Welds don't look bad. It takes time and practice to get really good. One suggestion. When you stop the arc. Just before you stop. Move the tungsten to the edge of the puddle. This eliminates the crater in the center of the puddle. If the weld is going to crack. It will start in the crater.
yeah I do normally circle it around as I taper off the pedal, but maybe not as much as I should. All of my alu welds on the intercooler and intake pipework on the last build survived fine for the last 2 years so I'm not too worried... but feel free to say "I told you so" if any of these ones ever crack

Also made a diagram of the full coolant system - partly for me to refer to as I make things and partly for other people to refer to as I know when I searched I couldn't find much good info on how to integrate swirl pots, electric water pumps, and header tanks etc.

The swirl pot is not strictly necessary but after having some issues with coolant bubbling last year I'm taking a belt and braces approach this time lol also I'll still be running the stock water pump as well as the electric pump. The electric one is there because of the radiator being in the rear (plus nice to be able to keep the pump running for a while after turning engine off)