View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
ZoomZ
Track Member

Drives: 17' 370Z Nismo
ZoomZ has a reputation beyond reputeZoomZ has a reputation beyond reputeZoomZ has a reputation beyond reputeZoomZ has a reputation beyond reputeZoomZ has a reputation beyond reputeZoomZ has a reputation beyond reputeZoomZ has a reputation beyond reputeZoomZ has a reputation beyond reputeZoomZ has a reputation beyond reputeZoomZ has a reputation beyond reputeZoomZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicVQ View Post
If you want to crank the engine for about 10 seconds without starting, you don't need any tools or have to remove any fuses. Our cars have a "clear flood" mode.

With one foot pressing on the brake (or clutch to the floor) use the other foot to hold the accelerator pedal to the floor, then push start.

The engine will crank for about 10 seconds, and will not start as the fuel injectors are turned off.
Also no codes will be set. I have done this many, many times on my G37 while researching how quick oil pressure builds.

If you want to have fun with your buddies car or on a test drive, use this method the next time you start it. I did this when I drove my friends brand new Maxima. I thought it was funny, and he thought his car was broken!

Note:
Based on some testing, this doesn't work on all cars. When I tried it on my old 2001 BMW 530, the engine raced towards redline for a moment.
Thanks. I kinda asked this in my first post, but I guess it's not well known. I have performed similar functions like this (throttle re-learn) but wasn't sure if starter would time out or crank if fuel pump and ignition fuses are pulled.

I had a look at the starting circuit wiring diagram last night. Simple enough system. Read nothing about this feature, but will look again.

Thanks again.
ZoomZ is offline   Reply With Quote