View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 10:31 PM   #65 (permalink)
Brendan
Track Member

Drives: Poor man's Porsche
Brendan has a reputation beyond reputeBrendan has a reputation beyond reputeBrendan has a reputation beyond reputeBrendan has a reputation beyond reputeBrendan has a reputation beyond reputeBrendan has a reputation beyond reputeBrendan has a reputation beyond reputeBrendan has a reputation beyond reputeBrendan has a reputation beyond reputeBrendan has a reputation beyond reputeBrendan has a reputation beyond repute

Small update. One of the most frustrating rules regarding building a car for this class is the one regarding suspension bushings. Due to this rule we cant run nice arms like spl or voodoo and a means we are stuck using arms that are more difficult to work with.

I had a set of z1 arms which don't allow for even or easy adjustment as you have to take apart the front suspension to make any changes.

The z1 arms were durable so I would recommend them to anyone looking for affordable arms if they dont plan on adjusting the car often.

I decided to "make" a set of arms that were easy to adjust but also legal for competition. I started with a set of upper control arms from gk tech. These arms are new on the market but the company makes stuff for the 350z and other Nissan cars.

The control arms from gktech work very similar the spl arms but are like a 3rd of the cost. These arms have spherical inner rod ends but the bearing is a standard type that you can get from most stores that stock suspension parts. What I decided to do was replace the rod ends with a type that would be legal for racing. I was able to find a set of rod ends from a 4wd parts company of all places. The dimension and type were perfect for the 370z. I ended up having to swap over the guts from the bushing on the z1 arms to make the rod ends work but someone might be able to put together a set by just having a set of inner sleeves made for the rod end bushings.

Anyways, now I have a set of arms that are easy to make adjustments on and are legal for racing. The only drawback so far is that they gave up some caster. I haven't measured yet so I can say how much, but it was around +8 with the z1 arms. These seem to be more in the range of the stock upper control arms. They do allow for a much larger range of camber which is very nice. Even with the new rod ends I was able to get around -4 and there seemed to be enough threads left to get even more.

Fyi it seems like it would totally be possible to convert a set of spl arms the way I did these GKTech, I didnt want to spend $1000+ finding this out if I wasn't sure.

PXL_20210319_222049350 by brendan sobers, on Flickr

Last edited by Brendan; 04-17-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote