View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
ChrisDrift
Base Member

Drives: 370Z
ChrisDrift is on a distinguished road

Got the new intake on the car and all fits perfectly
You can see how much extra room we have at the rear and down the right hand side now there's no throttle body and pipework back there, which is good because that's exactly why we did it. Still need to make the small tube and flanges that will join the throttle body to the front though.

and it weighs basically the same as the stock one:

These scales are meant for weighing an entire car, not small objects like this, so they're only accurate to 0.5 kgs I think. So don't read too much into the "weight saving" aspect of it.

Also installed the steering rack relocation kit from Parts Shop Max (helps with tie rod geometry on high steering angle used in drifting).
This requires you to cut a big chunk out of the stock subframe and then weld in the new part they supply you with. Unfortunately they no longer supply a template so there's a bit of guesswork involved. We did a very conservative first cut but then had to spend hours grinding away a little bit more and then offering it up again.
Very tedious but got it done eventually... only to then find that it seems to have been designed with left hand drive in mind (my car is RHD) so we then had to grind even more out to make the rack fit.

Obviously I've not finished welding it to the subframe yet but you get the idea

Then just when we thought we were finished with that job, we put the engine back in and found the sump hits the new part of the subframe.

I'm sure a stock 370Z engine would be fine, but I'm using my forged 350Z engine (and also a spacer on the sump) so yeah we had to cut even more stuff out to make that fit. Not pretty but will tidy it up later.