View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 06:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Quicksilvers
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2017 370z
Quicksilvers has a reputation beyond reputeQuicksilvers has a reputation beyond reputeQuicksilvers has a reputation beyond reputeQuicksilvers has a reputation beyond reputeQuicksilvers has a reputation beyond reputeQuicksilvers has a reputation beyond reputeQuicksilvers has a reputation beyond reputeQuicksilvers has a reputation beyond reputeQuicksilvers has a reputation beyond reputeQuicksilvers has a reputation beyond reputeQuicksilvers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardyknow View Post
What's a ballast. I'm not familiar in this territory of electrical stuff. I'm hoping it's just an easy replacement for the morimoto headlights since it's plug and play. I don't think the previous owner bothered with the bluetooth part and just had the halos plugged in where I'm guessing he made it so high beams weren't connected anymore?
A ballast is essential in HID lighting technology because it provides the voltage to start the bulb and it also helps in maintaining an adequate flow of electrical current to the bulb. Quality ballast acts as DC to AC converter so that you can use the normal DC power source in the car to light the bulbs efficiently. If you are forced to reset your ballast repeatedly,then that could be a sign of a bad HID or LED bulb. HID ballasts also serve as DC to AC converters. When inspecting it for potential issues, any burn marks, leaking oil, or swollen casing are indicators of failure. In most cases ballast failure occurs as a results of the surrounding environment. Heat and moisture are great enemies to your HID ballast. When it is too cold or too hot the ballast can burn out or fail to start headlights. A combination of heat and constant condensation can also cause severe corrosion over time. You can avoid this problem by removing and cleaning the various parts of your ballast casing and electrical board. However, you need to be cautious and sure of what you are doing to avoid causing more problems. A slight mistake and you will be purchasing and installing a new ballast. If the OP can not properly diagnose this issue take your Z to a shop or preferably a shop that specializes or has knowledge of vehicle electrical that you trust.