View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #687 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

I now have an engine assembled (ish). I still need my pushrods and my head drilled and tapped for steel inserts where the intake will go. I'll additionally put in studs so that I don't have to worry about alignment issues and stripping the aluminum head again. There's nothing too dramatic about the rebuild because I had all the screws and parts. Actually, that alone was an amazing feeling. Even better, I knew 99% of the process.

Really good news about the ring! I found the pack of rings at the shop from the last time I broke a ring. Also, the bottom oil ring was fairly easy to put on. More good news... The 10% underdrive gave enough clearance for the belt. Also, I was able to re-use my old belt.

Perhaps I was gifted with a bit of luck because my bad luck with my calipers hit. I was obsessed with getting the akebono logo cleared into the caliper. I did a light scuff (very light) and then cleared over it with some high temp gloss. I tossed the caliper into the stove for 20min @ 200deg. The result of that was catastrophic to the "high temp vinyl". The vinyl separated from the glue and curled. An attempt was made to press down the vinyl and re-clear. Things went bad to worse.

I ended up picking the vinyl out of the clear and then the caliper now has a blurry ghost of "akebono". At this point... I'm going to wet sand the clear and then not worry about even having the vinyl. Moral of the story... Have the vinyl baked into the clear. But... I question if that would even survive.

Now... if anyone reading this happens to see my car in person, look for the Easter Egg of a F* - up.

For what it was worth. The situation might have been fine if the clear was allowed to dry slowly. Oh well. I plan on murdering the rotors with heat. so there's no guarantee the vinyl wouldn't have been liquid under the clear. lol

gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote