View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
dts3
Track Member

Drives: 08 Expedition
dts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is the "TEL Adapter" unit required?

I'll start with the usual disclaimer that I searched and couldn't find anything specific to my question.

I'd like to know if, when switching to an aftermarket head unit, do I need to keep the TEL Adapter Unit? (The "white box" that's on the same bracket as the base model stereo)

I looked at the pinout in the FSM in detail, and I could only find a few places where it may be needed:
  1. Telephone integration. Obviously this would be disabled.
    Also just as obvious should be that I would not be needing it with an aftermarket headunit
  2. Bluetooth antenna. I would also not use this in an aftermarket head unit
  3. OEM microphone. I will but using the mic that came with the head unit
  4. Steering wheel controls. This one is interesting. I see that the steering wheel controls are routed through the TEL Adapter into the factory stereo. I'm guessing this is only to get the telephone steering wheel controls (but maybe volume as well?). If I get rid of the TEL Adapter unit can I just use the signal that goes INTO the unit from it's connecter without plugging in the unit? I'm guessing yes, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any experience with deleting this box? It frees up a lot of space that I'd like to use back there.

Last edited by dts3; 03-02-2021 at 01:11 PM.
dts3 is offline   Reply With Quote