View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 AM   #680 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this weekend I thought I was going to be fixing the stripped holes in the head. NOPE. I noticed some debris inside the engine from the constant construction. So.... That redirected the efforts to a complete tear down of the engine. For real. I have way too much time and money into this thing to blow it up on the first dyno pull. I mean, there's always a chance... but no reason to increase the chances.

With that said, I broke the entire engine down. I decided to make some lemonade out of the lemons and paint the block. Taping the block off was actually a bit more time consuming than I would have anticipated. Not sure on the amount of time it took... but it was longer than expected. Of course, it could have felt longer because I spent the whole day breaking the engine down and labeling all the bolts. What ever.

When it came time to paint the engine. I used an etching epoxy primer (dark green coat). After that, I did a light coat of green followed on by highlighter yellow. The result was.... Green apple. 100% not what I wanted. The aim was to get the color to resemble the powder coated parts. So... at the end of a 10hr day (no breaks) and a dripping block (the paint was runny). I threw in the towel.

Next day. I examine the block... yup, Green Apple. I use a razor blade to cut off some of the runs and assess the situation. I decided to hit the block with ceramic white and then follow on with highlighter yellow. I did that process three times. I must say... I think I got really close to where it needed to be.

later in the day, the powder coater hit me up with messages showing me the calipers, brackets and turbo housings. They came out SICK!

Final thought... I didn't really want to show the debris in the engine to everyone. BUT! I maintain I have an open and honest build here. It's very important to be transparent about these issues. I hate having flaws as much as anyone else.

Oh yeah, I found my shrader valve that I lost when I was messing with my Accusump. It was in a socket.

-- Edit --

The last two pictures of the block were from today at 5:30am. I woke up early and decided to hit the block with VHT Satin Clear. I may get back out to the shop and start assembly tonight!.

Last edited by gbrettin; 03-01-2021 at 09:54 AM.
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote