View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
back from the dead.

My Touring was totaled. All the sudden/short notice scenario had me go back to what I was familiar with — this time a Turbo Carbon Edition. FWD because well, money.

For a segment meant to be a boring drive, I've been happy with the platform. I just knew I couldn't get back into the same exact car for another 3 years, though. It totally needed that engine and the improved response mapping, and I really like this color setup with some of the muted/black accents in lieu of chrome.

I would've liked the supposed stiffer suspension setup of the previous generation.

(not mine, but from Mazda's showcase)
The Carbon gets AWD, presuming you bought the turbo? It just misses out on some of the creature comforts of the GT-R and Sg models. Also, 2019+ CX5's all got a stiffer suspension than the 2017-2018. I owned a 2015. The 2019+ feels like a refined 1st gen. The 2017-2018 were not so good. I didn't like those. Drove a few while I was getting my tires swapped, etc.

I've had a good time so far in mine. Not quite as fast as my 370Z, but killed a 2015 Camaro RS this morning from a freeway punch. They aren't the fastest of course, but I now have 62K miles and a lifetime average of 27mpg, it's AWD and got me through our snow storm fine, and hauls my Shepherd/Collie mix and luggage around great. Probably the "best" vehicle I've ever owned when you take all of life into account. Still able to have some fun.

Car and Driver shows these get faster with break-in, and I agree. 0-60 in 5.8, quarter mile in 14.4@97 was what their long termer did after 40K miles. Mazda designs these engines to keep valve deposits to a minimum, and it shows as t hey tend to get faster as they age (The long term CX9 had a similar performance bump at the end of testing), as compared to many other DI forced induction cars that got slower, like the WRX 2.0 that actually LOST 2mph off its trap speed.

One of the best mods I've done is remove the trash OEM A36 Toyos and put on CrossContact LX25's, although next time I'll probably try another tire because newer options are out, now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CX5.jpg (296.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by ImportConvert; 02-24-2021 at 02:05 AM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote