View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
NonLinearEdit
Base Member

Drives: 2010 G37X Slate 7AT
NonLinearEdit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
Well, the reason I said what I did is because it appears you don't have the money to buy or build a motor if it pops. Save your money for the A2A. It is much more reliable than a stock Stillen kit ever thought about being.
I get what you're saying, but if tuned correctly in the configuration it is in, methanol acts as a safeguard as it suppresses knock and detonation. If you're running and tuning methanol with the expectation of lowering intake temps it doesn't present catastrophic failure if the meth system ceases to work. It's only when you're pulling extra timing based on the methanol injection that you run the risk of popping the motor if the system fails at WOT. In the summer here with IAT's above 160 that's an incredibly useful safe guard. There's also nothing really unreliable about the stillen kit. Aside from the air cooling, the Soho A2A for example utilizes the same hardware as on the stillen kit. They're both reliable one is just subject to more heat soak and loss of performance from said heat soak. The system is already installed on the car anyway, my question wasn't about someone's opinions of how methanol works, but as to how the tuning process works.
NonLinearEdit is offline   Reply With Quote