View Single Post
Old 02-16-2021, 06:14 AM   #3898 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Nuke is the way to go. It's the cheapest per MW produced and the cleanest. Only 3 problems with it.

1. Cost and time to get the permits. 2 to 4 billions dollars and 15 years.

2. Cost 20 billion, and time to build a nuke. 15 to 20 yrs and more than one company to share the cost.

3. What do you do with the waste. Yucca Mountain is the perfect place. But you have "Not in my backyard" people. Then you have to transport it. People are scare chitless over that.
One of my brothers is a Nuclear Engineer, confirms all you've stated. He said the biggest barrier is overcoming residual fear that people have over another "3 Mile Island" or similar. Most legislation that now makes it so time consuming and expensive came about as a result of fear, as opposed to logic, but I guess that applies to most legislation for everything, not just nuclear.