View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 09:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
Voice59
Premium Member

Drives: 2009 Nissan 370z
Voice59 is a glorious beacon of lightVoice59 is a glorious beacon of lightVoice59 is a glorious beacon of lightVoice59 is a glorious beacon of lightVoice59 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecioVato View Post
I completely get where you're coming from but a couple of questions:
1. Would you rather Nissan partner with another car maker such as Toyota with Subaru or Toyota with BMW with the making of the BRZ/FRS or the Supra? Basically one could say that the Supra doesn't have much in other than the shell, QA of the car and a tune?

2. Considering the R&D that would be needed to build a new engine - would you be willing to pay much more than lets say $45k for a new engine and new technology?

Considering they already have a twin turbo for the Q - why not use the same engine and technology - work on adding a manual to it - and work out the kinks - maybe look at the existing shortcomings of the Q60 and look to improve on that for the new Z. This way your focus can be on things such as the shell, the improvement of the engine and other things to make it a revision as far as teh engine of the Q60 and giving the looks and interior tech of the new Z.

I don't know - again, I understand that the hype makes it seem like this would be a BRAND NEW car and it feels more like a refresh that should have happened several years ago.

1. Would I prefer Nissan were able to produce a wholly new car on their own? Yes.

But if it took collaborating with another manufacture to produce something fresh and innovative, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it. Just as long as the car was mostly Nissan (if that makes sense).

2. Yeah, if Nissan were to produce a real banger, I'd pay the money for it. If the Nismo version of the Z was a 4L twin turbo with a kick *** transmission and suspension, I'd feel justified paying a bit more. Hell, I was in the market for a Q60 Black S had they followed through with their ambitions.

3. I'm not knocking them for using the engine. I'm knocking them for deciding to do it so late. I feel like the introduction of the Q50/Q60 and the VR30 platform should've been when it took place. I mean they've had a solid twin turbo V6 since what? 2009. The kinks have been worked out. If they want to take a twin turbo engine/set up from one of their own, they could've literally just handed that down to the Z in 2015, and made a new platform for the GTR. The most "innovative" thing they did for the Z in the past 10 years was add Recaro seats to the Nismo.
Voice59 is offline   Reply With Quote