View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
radensb
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z GM M6
radensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorik View Post
I'm also very interested, but not sure what exactly I would need to make this a reality (also I don't have a head-unit in mind yet, but would like it if it could do CarPlay) and as such what budget I should be thinking of for the complete replacement.

Also I live in Netherlands and have a MY2009 from Germany, so I would prefer to be able to see and control temperatures in centigrades .

I am an electrical engineer, so I think I should be able to understand and get quite far with the electric parts and can maybe assist with the C++ software, but e.g. I have no idea what parts I would need for replacing the dashboard with a 2DIN(?) headunit. Are there existing parts for this, or is some custom modeling or 3d printing necessary for that?
What kind of setup are you thinking of doing exactly? Basically, anything outside COTS parts (standard single or dual DIN headunit and aftermarket bezel that supports dial controls) is going to require some custom fabrication on your end. There are people who have started this work and are fine tuning their models to enable people to 3D print their own. Some are charging for the CAD model, while others can be found online. Still, the models are typically designed around that persons custom build and may need modification for your configuration.

It has been long thought that if you had a Navi equipped 370Z, you were stuck with it forever. Over the last few years, people have figured out how to swap parts, run wires and splice into the existing wiring harness to convert a Navi model to use the base model dial controls. Once that conversion was done, they were free to pursue any aftermarket stereo install they wanted (typically a dual DIN unit with a cubby from a base model).

This project eliminates the need to hack up the car and provides a plug-n-play option to interface the base model dial controls in a navi equipped model, as well as software interfaces via the USB or Bluetooth for app based control. The current board is designed to be universal. You would make a wiring harness that connects to the universal connector that adapts whatever pinout your car has. This should cover all 2009, 2010+ US 370Z's and models from other countries as the signals the board uses should be generic. I am not super familiar with the non-US models. So they have the same connectors and pinout?? If so, can you provide this information?

The firmware is setup to use F or C temperature units, depending on how its built. This needs to be setup correctly because your car is expecting data in the proper units over the CAN bus. If you plan on doing software based control using an app, you would should able to display the temp in whatever units you choose through the app.

I have been updating the github page. Please take a look at the Wiki for more hardware details and I welcome your help with this!