View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
STi 5
Base Member

Drives: 2011 STi
STi 5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillenZ View Post
Thanks again for the input guys... IDK what I'm going to do... Just kinda waiting around for some results on all of these superchargers and such....

STI 5... How you like your STI? I've been thinking about selling my Z and gettin a used one and just modding the **** out of it.... This Z is too damn slow for me, but I don't know if it would be worth it to go to the STi.... I love the all wheel drive and I love the fact that I probably wouldn't care so much about the looks of my STI (as I really don't like there look a whole lot in the first place, so I could just drive it all the time... snow, mud, dirt, etc... not happenin in the Z).... but it just seems like the type of car that I could run the piss out of and not worry too much about.... I always feel like I am abusing my Z when I drive it. I am never easy on it and I'm just used to vehicles that feel good under a lot of stress and acceleration... This one... IDK about... I just feel like I have to try a lot harder and abuse it a lot more to enjoy it.
I really like my STi, actually I just got it finished up with a tune from the guys at Pure Tuning in Toledo and it put down 292 whp, 336 wtq at 19psi on their Mustang Dyno SAE corrected. All I have done is a full 3" turboback exhaust, intake, lightweight crank pully, and a Grimmspeed Boost Control Solenoid valve. That is on stock turbo as well. It leaves a lot to be desired in the upper rpm range because the turbo falls out of its efficiency range pretty quickly. None the less, very fun down low.

As far as modding the crap out of it, how far are you looking to go, if building the engine is something you are considering, I might caution you. I have never had good luck at all with built motors, maybe I haven't had my engines built by blessed hands yet, but it usually left a lot to be desired. The numbers were nice on the dyno, but all the work that went along with it was quite the chore. The STi, stock block is going to handle around 400 whp, maybe a little more torque, even then, the ringlands on the pistons could be a ticking time bomb. I don't know how much you like working on your cars, but as I have aged and have started a family, time becomes more and more a luxury. ***Back to it, Brazilbro hit it on the head as far as dollar per HP ratio goes, Evo is a no brainer, but for me I spend a lot of time in the car and the interior quality makes a difference. I don't know what kind of numbers you are shooting for but, to me, the more HP it has usually means the more time, money, and work it takes to keep it running. I had a turbo DC2 Integra with about 350 HP and that thing scared me and my friends more times than I could count, was it fun...you bet, but I was one of the unlucky ones who's turbo honda took more work to keep running than building the Panama Canal. I love AWD, but I am taking a hard look at the Z, from everything the guys on this forum and all the mags, it sounds like an amazing vehicle. But you have one and yet are potentially looking at an STi or Evo. It always goes back to "the grass is greener on the other side" way of thinking. I think for right now, Injected sounds like your best bet if you are gonna stick with the Z and want to get it tuned. However, your next step is to sit down and take a hard look at what you want out of whatever car you choose to go with. Make a list of all the pros and cons associated with each including the money it is going to take to get the car where you want it to be (handling, HP, transient response, lap or ET times etc) and go from there. There really isn't the swiss army knife car out there, each one has it's pros and cons, it's up to you to figure out which one has the most pros for you and being able to live with that cars cons at the same time.

Last edited by STi 5; 02-12-2010 at 06:20 PM.
STi 5 is offline   Reply With Quote