View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #568 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

After a month of waiting, the SPAL 1/2" gasket and swirl pot came in. I started off with the SPAL fan mount because of limited time. It's also nice to heave a simple quick win. I think I did that on Saturday. Kind of simple. the shroud needed to be disassembled to get the back side of the zip ties through. -Edit - You may wonder why I waited for the spacer... With out the rubber spacer the fan would hit the radiator. I also forgot to mention that the fan will blast air over the oil cooler and power steering cooler (of which I don't have... I was waiting to hear back from CSF.)

Yesterday (Sunday) I worked on cutting the swirl pot so that it could be mounted. Doing it a second time was fairly easy because I already know it will mount correctly. My 3" air grinder worked awesome on this piece. Well, it was awesome until a little chunk of disk broke free and hit my knuckle. It hurt... but lucky I've been up on all the safety equipment and wore gloves. Otherwise it would have been a bloody mess. The picture I took where I'm looking at the camera was almost directly after the hit. Note the double eye protection too!

Last on deck was the Accusump mount. Who would have known a mount could be such a time sink. The mount was measured, punched and drilled for mounts/dimple holes. After that, A hydraulic press was used to press the aluminum. Excess aluminum was then removed to allow for better airflow. Airflow will go around the Accusump fairly easy because it is round. If the mount was not cut up, air would hit the square edge. It would actually make downforce... but air evacuation in that area is more important.

Attaching the mount to the shroud was fairly easy using 1/4 rivets 1/2" long. The awesome part about the rivet was that it hooked right into the square stock that is inside of the L shaped aluminum. Remember my first time TIG welding aluminum? Yeah, that square stock. The accusump mount went into those two pieces of aluminum stock and it's attached to the left and right frame rail.

Last edited by gbrettin; 12-14-2020 at 01:03 PM.
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote