View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
370zBoyz
Base Member

Drives: Nismo
370zBoyz has a reputation beyond repute370zBoyz has a reputation beyond repute370zBoyz has a reputation beyond repute370zBoyz has a reputation beyond repute370zBoyz has a reputation beyond repute370zBoyz has a reputation beyond repute370zBoyz has a reputation beyond repute370zBoyz has a reputation beyond repute370zBoyz has a reputation beyond repute370zBoyz has a reputation beyond repute370zBoyz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by datcipher View Post
I am amazed, I don't even see how the "stock exhaust" videos from the interior apply - mine seems much much quieter than even that. I don't think I could pick up any exhaust noise on a video from the interior. That's why I wondered if Nissan really did improve the sound proofing a bit.

I think I have watched just about every video and read every post I could find on drone. etc.

I will say that the resonant short tails really were not bad. I wouldn't have chosen them, but they did sound good, in fact, I got a couple strangers walking up and asking me what was on there.....the first was a few days after i bought the car, and I PUTTED into a convenience store parking lot with no real throttle. A Q60 coupe owner came up and asked. In fact, for the guys who really like LOUD - it probably isn't enough. For anyone else, IF they don't get that one buzz I did, it would probably be satisfying. I think they probably sound much more refined that the short tails with no resonator.

For sure, next year I may look back into it, but I'll see how budget goes. I had thought nismo exhaust might be right for me, but that's before I realized this is basically totally silent! I thought from all I read Nismo was very slightly louder - now you say it's QUIETER (!?)

I might think about cheap ebay (which the guy I bought the muffler from raved about - he's a car guy, but he thinks it's fine, and doesn't buy into the: it's cheap and not well made narrative), otherwise, sounds to me like Gemini, or HKS hi-power, etc may be the most quiet options. I read that s-line muffler was just a bit louder than stock.....but....in some videos it doesn't sound too great to me without the s-line pipes as well.

Of course the problem is you can't really pick up drone well in video - as you say, and even moreso, I can't really tell volume well from video. I think trying to pick out how loud it is compared to engine noise, is about the only indicator I get as to how loud it really is.
I have test pipes with the nismo stock exhaust and you can hear it and it sounds like a sports car

I had axle backs with the test pipes and it roared but man it droned and sounded awful on start ups

On acceleration 3000k rpm sounded like I was redlining it

Maybe go with test pipes to bring out the sound more
370zBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote