View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #563 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

Finally done. I attempted to solely use 3m tape but it would have popped off on a warm day. I was able to get it to lay mostly flat with some clamping force; of which, one clamp was not on the back side of the vent all the way. I now have some impromptu bead rolling in a spot I didn't really want.

With that said, I went out to the hardware store and picked up some button head screws and a new pack of drill bits. Turns out that the Ryobi bits SUCK. Their titanium coated bits dulled really fast and one broke free from the drill bit mount.... specifically the 1/4" bit I needed to finish the job (last three holes). I hogged out the hole with the size smaller to get the job done.

Cutting the holes had me on edge on this task because Finite Element isn't really making these vents anymore. It would have been a double whammy if this got botched. Big holes in fenders, 600 vents toasted and unable to get new ones (not that I would want to pay 600 right now).

I didn't have to do the vents right now.... but... I really wanted a change of pace. Besides, I'm still waiting on a handful of parts right now. specifically a rubber fitting that goes around my SPAL fan so that I can mount it with out the blades hitting the radiator.

Speaking of the radiator... I haven't heard back from CSF on any sort of sponsorship (not free parts, I said I would buy them). I guess that option can fade off into the sunset. They have their authentic time attack car (Evo) for advertising anyway. Like I said... I was apprehensive about it anyway.

Lastly, my pie cutting jig from LPS Fab came in. Now the cold and hot side can be wrapped up. I took a week off of work between Christmas and New Years to specifically knock that out. There all hands on deck at Auto Dynamix working on personal projects too, 3 or 4 other race cars. I'll get some video of that.

https://www.lpsfab.com/product/lps-tube-jaws

Last edited by gbrettin; 12-09-2020 at 10:25 AM.
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote