View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #560 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

IG@gbrettin

Figured out my mount, and it's not going where I said it was in my video (from a few days ago). The Accusump was tapped in the factory holes. I'm making an aluminum mount that will use 3/8 - 16 hardware in the tapped holes. I also have a dimple die set coming so the mount can be strengthened and lightened. If this doesn't make sense... Stay tuned to see it come together... Or a big fail. One of the two

Getting the mount done with a steady hand using hand tools.

Well, it was awesome until it wasn't. The center section measurement was off. Need to redo it

nd mount completed. This one works. How hard is two bends and a few holes, right? My Harbor Freight break isn't exactly perfect so I had to open up the bolt holes a bit. I'd rather do that than make a third mount. Last picture shows the mount location. I need to trim more aluminum off, rivnut the mount to the air cowl and dimple die the main mount area tomorrow... Maybe the day after...

----------------------------

Truth be told here... I was PISSED OFF when I had to create the second mount. I would have created video but I was 12hrs deep into the custom bracket Sunday. The speed difference between the first mount and the second mount was nuts. I was able complete the latest one between 7:30 and 10:00pm.

What I didn't show on IG was the first mount that I was attempting to work out. It was abandoned in favor of the latest mount. Then I tried cutting out two circles to weld to some metal. After making a couple sets of circles, it was decided to make a paper template for a one piece mount.

One last thing. On the failed mount, I even went to the extent of tig welding the ends to a flat piece of an aluminum. That didn't work because of the gap and how the ends cracked off from flattening to make another attempt to break the aluminum to a 90.

It was a long weekend! technically four iterations of a mount.

Again, the pictures are below are in the exact chronological order.

gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote