View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
BettyZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: A Garage Queen
BettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Autonomous Driving

Luminar, a maker of sensor tech for self-driving cars, went public today. The founder, Austin Russell, who started the company when he dropped out of Stanford at 17, is now a billionaire.

In light of the relentless push towards autonomous cars and trucks, I have a few questions/thoughts, which I'm hoping you all can answer and/or add to; as these inventions will seriously affect our driving habits.

1. Will computer-operated cars (COCs) be designed to drive at the speed of traffic, or obey posted limits, whatever they may be?

2. Will COCs only roll in the right lane(s)? Or will they clog the left?

3. Will COCs respond like humans and get out of the way when a vehicle is approaching their rear at a high closing rate, or will they plod along in the lane they're already in?

4. How will COCs handle inclement weather, such as heavy fog, rain, or snow, which has a measurable effect on Lidar and camera imaging?

5. In an accident involving a COC, how will insurance companies handle the blame? Will the COC insurers insist that because their COCs aren't capable of error, that the human driver of the other car must be 100% at fault?

6. How will laser jamming parking assist systems affect Lidar-guided COCs?

Hoping for answers and more questions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk