View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 10:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Katana29
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z
Katana29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicVQ View Post
Is your concern valve train noise or oil consumption?

If it is oil consumption, as you have stated "The motor is built with forged rods and pistons so the clearances are wider with more blow-by. "

With "more blow-by' you are loosing oil through the PCV system and it is what it is.

If it is noise, it may be normal for your built engine.
Both, but mainly consumption. I drive long distances pretty frequently and I'd rather not carry oil around with me if I can help it.

And yeah I would have thought it is what it is with blow by, but the burn off rate was doubled with the 0w-40 compared to the 10w-40 and there's no way the properties of the oil aren't factors with such a significant change.

I only discussed the valve train noise because the thicker oil also seemed to run quieter than the thinner oil (lubricating things better).

Looking at the data sheets for these oils, I think the primary determining factors are film strength (kinematic viscosity) and flash point. The T6 has very similar properties to the 10w40 (which the engine seems to like) but a much higher flash point.

So I would have thought if anything it would burn off less. It's funny when I was researching it, the 15w40 T6 containers actually say 'lower oil consumption' right on the front as what that oil was specifically designed for.

But hey, I'm just trying to learn new stuff and maybe find a better oil for the engine.
Katana29 is offline   Reply With Quote