View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Katana29
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z
Katana29 is on a distinguished road

So just making sure here.......

This engine was built by Rebello Racing and has around 20K miles on it. It has been very well maintained and it was recommended that either 0w-40 or 10w-40 oil be used, as it has forged internals that are looser than stock. I actually bought the car off a member (look up ban25's track journal for the specific car).

I have run both these oils and the consumption rate is night and day, with the 10w-40 burning off at less than half the rate and oil analysis samples coming back cleaner.

Like I said, the engine runs cooler and the valvetrain is definitely quieter with the 10w-40.

So I here what you guys are saying but the engine seems to prefer the thicker oil and that's why I'm confused.

The 15w-40 T6 has very similar properties to the 10w-40 but has a significantly higher flash point so I thought logically it should burn off slower. I know I've got blow-by and that's fine, it's supposed to have a bit of that. But the fact that the oil analysis, consumption, and temps seem to say the same thing..... I would think there would be other factors at play.
Katana29 is offline   Reply With Quote