View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #552 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't really been to the shop to work on my car because I'm waiting on a few parts, specifically a SPAL 16" high output fan and a pie cut vice. The hot and cold side need to be finished which is why I need the pie cut vice/jig. Auto Dynamix wired up their big a$$ band saw finally. I figured the only way to make the cold side from the A2W was to use all pies. Thankfully, I will be able to tack them all together using the TIG welder. Using tape is nice up to a point but it starts getting ridiculous after it starts snaking around.

SO...

Momentum can't be lost. I remembered I have Finite Element fender vents sitting in my basement along with my fenders. No better time to carve than now; besides, I found it oddly cathartic.

The last fender is done. Paint is drying so I didn't get any side by side pictures to see how far I'm out of whack matching them up. They should be dead on... but then again. I measured them.

Oh, a little context for the first few pictures. The plastic template was WAY out of spec because it has been sitting so long. Tape was used all around the border of the vent + plastic template. Heat was then applied to the template with my heat gun, hot hot so that it reshaped the template. I then used my freezer to ensure that the plastic froze the shape.

Couple final thoughts while I was getting the pictures around.

1. I was using air tools until about 9pm. Not a huge deal but it's dark about 6:00pm. My neighborhood was probably not loving me.
2. My compressor sucks for air tools. Took me 5x longer than it would at the shop.
3. Nissan puts a reinforcement urethane rubber on the inside of the fender. That smelled HORRIBLE when I hit it with the grinder.

Last edited by gbrettin; 11-30-2020 at 04:50 PM.
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote