View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
brainrain
Base Member

Drives: Nissan 370z
brainrain is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody

I can tchat with the mechanic of the former owner of my car.
The engine light is a visual indicator (by Ecutek) if the advanced ignition will retard by 3 or more degrees regarding knocking. The former owner had done a maintenance to clean the cylinders.

Here is the mechanic's response :

Quote:
if we did a cylinder cleaning, the car came in with a knocking problem. 370Z have a problem, that oil coal on the piston can glow and generates knocking. For that reason, we did a cylinder clean with chemicals and installed a visual indicator if the advanced ignition will retard by 3 or more degrees regarding knocking. We see it most on cars which run on low load and low rpm over a long time. It is hard to get the problem solved if you have it. It is important to change the driving style and use the best fuel you can get. short trips with 10km or less should be avoided.
Quote:
regarding the knocking problem, we have cleaned the cylinder. the problem is, that is not possible to remove everything of the dirt with the chemical cleaning. We made a video of this problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7YbvvYwp0w

If the advanced ignition will be retarded while the engine is knocking the check engine light don’t light up. There is a option at the ecutek tune, that you can make it blink if the ignition will retard more than 3 degrees. this is the visual indicator that will tell the driver, that the ignition retared by 3 or more degrees.
Is he right? should I be worried? Can the problem be solved otherwise?

I ask him if it's possible to remove this feature, because France regulation (french TUV) doesn't allow driving with an engine warning light:

Quote:
We can remove it you are here, but it is a safty feature, so if it blinks you don’t should accelerate full. This could destroy the engine if you have knock and go to full load.
Thank you in advance for your reply.

Last edited by brainrain; 11-18-2020 at 01:45 PM.
brainrain is offline   Reply With Quote