Thread: Stiff paddles
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
CyFi6
Base Member

Drives: 2017 370Z
CyFi6 has a reputation beyond reputeCyFi6 has a reputation beyond reputeCyFi6 has a reputation beyond reputeCyFi6 has a reputation beyond reputeCyFi6 has a reputation beyond reputeCyFi6 has a reputation beyond reputeCyFi6 has a reputation beyond reputeCyFi6 has a reputation beyond reputeCyFi6 has a reputation beyond reputeCyFi6 has a reputation beyond reputeCyFi6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stiff paddles

Always felt like the 7AT paddle shifters were just too....stiff/firm. It made them feel cheap and sound very "clacky" every time I would use them.

So I tore them apart and found that they have a small spring in each switch that controls the firmness.

I went onto McMaster and found some similarly sized springs that have less tension and replaced them. The PN is 9657K673 https://www.mcmaster.com/9657K673/

They come in a pack of 12. It makes the paddles much quieter and takes a lot less force to actuate them. I think it makes them feel way better. If you want it a little stiffer you could mesh two of the springs together before you put them in and it would stiffen it a little more. With one spring the feel is very light which I found perfect.

To replace the spring you first need to remove the trim around the steering column and then unbolt the paddles. Remove the screw on the switch body and pry on the small clips holding the connector housing in. Make sure you remove this first.

There is a pin that you will then drive out with a screwdriver/punch which will allow you to get the spring out. Replace the spring then reassemble in the reverse order. If you don't remove the electrical connector part first you will damage the switch when you put back together.

I also decided to use a larger pin and drilled out the paddle and housing for a tighter fit since the stock ones have quite a bit of wiggle/play. Thats optional though.

Just an FYI for anyone else that found the stock paddles annoying.
CyFi6 is offline   Reply With Quote