Thread: Trunk release
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
BoilardZ
Base Member

Drives: 2017 370Z
BoilardZ is on a distinguished road

It's an easy mod. You just have to tap into the trunk release wire, which is plugged into the BCM behind the passenger kick panel. The wire is gray, and the exact location is shown in the schematic posted earlier in this thread. (It's pin 67.) I tapped into this wire with a simple wire tap. All you have to do is run this wire to a momentary switch, and run the other terminal of the switch to ground. That's it! The switch will pop the trunk, whether the car is running or not. Note, however, that the button will NOT work if he doors are locked. This is a great feature, because I often leave my top down when I run into a store or whatever, so no one can just reach into my car and unlock my trunk.
I purchased the S mode button from a Nissan dealer. The hard part was coming up with a harness. I ended up fabricating one myself using a close-enough connector and an X-acto knife. My switch is also illuminated; I tapped into the same wire that illuminates the hazard light button that's nearby.
Nissan does make an actual trunk release switch, which some people put into a square blank in their center console. But if you have a convertible and heated seats, those blanks are all used up. All that was left for me was the S mode blank. But you could of course get creative and add a switch anywhere.
PM me if you have any specific questions.
Steve
BoilardZ is offline   Reply With Quote