View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #95 (permalink)
Denny McLain
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z, 96CE hotrod
Denny McLain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn370z View Post
Did you install the berk cats? Which y pipe did you install? I'm assuming the 18 hp berk dyno was too optimistic??
Yes, they were the Berk cats and JIC Y-Pipe. Got them locally from:

Outperformance Shop - 2009 Nissan 370z Performance Parts

Evidently my car was the first one to try the JIC Y-pipe and obviously the test monkey for fit as they're not on their web site yet. The Y-pipe is extremely well made, the welds are fabulous and fit perfect. Will do a bit of welding myself on occasion (when and if I can get my hands on a welder) and was very impressed with the work. Top shelf stuff. (so are the cats)

Rarely have I been able to duplicate manufacturers results as you always see "best case' outcomes. As mentioned, the was a 9 hp difference just in underhood engine temps and heat soak. Makes it pretty easy to add a fudge factor.

The other issue I'm having is going through a learning curve on what the car likes and how to best dyno the car for consistency. That's OK. I'm learning. There may be a little bit more power from the cats and Y-pipe, but frankly that is about what I was expecting. The radical change in fuel/air was not expected and has taken me back a notch.

Dan is the owner of Outperformance and he had a great next move suggestion: Remove the stock exhaust section after the Y-Pipe, dyno and see what the effects are to determine how efficient the stock exhaust system is. Think that is a great idea as usually on modding a car the first thing I do is make sure plenty of air is capable of going in and out eliminating any weak links. Once I'm comfortable no obstacles are present, then focus at other areas.
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote