View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
victorofhavoc
Base Member

Drives: 2014 370z
victorofhavoc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///maestro View Post
I have not weighed the splitter I made. It actually wasn't even a splitter, it was just a chassis mounted undertray. Mainly made it for 2 reasons:

A: Test the chassis mounting
B: protect my oil pan and bumper from getting destroyed because I used to do street driving.

That being said, I street drive it maybe 2% of the time, very seldom. The race group/class I compete in restricts aftermarket aero, so I will be removing my chassis mount and maybe saving it for the future if I bump up a class. You may want to look into a racing league (ie. Gridlife, NASA, Global Time Attack) and build your car to a specific class spec (if you haven't already).

Regarding the chassis mounting hardware, I purchased the battle aero mounting brackets. They are OK but under heavy load, I do think the two mounting points are not enough and cause flex in the splitter. I would make 4 additional mounting points on a splitter with the Battle Aero chassis mounting hardware (2 in the middle, and 1 on each far side).

See image of their product:

So I'm talking to Professional Awesome about getting a custom cut piece from the racebred honeycomb birch and getting their mounting hardware since it's quick release (trailered everywhere). I'll have to do some fab work myself, but it shouldn't be too bad. Air dam will be fun...

I did the math on 10mm alumalite (which I read was recommended for splitter use over the 6mm due to flex) in the same square footage size as the birch splitter and there's a pretty massive weight advantage. 10 lbs vs 20 lbs. Carbon when done well is typically around 6lbs...so that's pretty solid.