View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Slynky
Track Member

Drives: 2010 Red 370Z T/S/N
Slynky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvKintheUSA View Post
I had this clunk fixed at the dealer. They replaced the rear drive shafts and the clunk was gone. That was 4k miles ago. Now it is doing it again. Happens only when I backup or accelerate from a stop - clearly audible when you are parked in a garage. Sounds like there is play in the driveline. I'm afraid it will get worse over time. When I went to a Z meet in VA in August, several other 370Zs made the same noise, but no one there thought it was a big deal. I found this somewhere online:

Clunk
Clunk is a metallic noise heard when an automatic transmission is engaged in Reverse or Drive, or when throttle is applied or released. It is caused by backlash somewhere in the driveline, but not necessarily in the axle.
Remembering the old days when I did a LOT more on cars than I do now, I'd say this sort of thing could be universal joint play. Those were things that had to be replaced sometimes in cars. I'd say the more powerful the engine and the more it is driven in a, hmmmm, spirited mode ( ), the more wear and tear it makes on those joints but I wouldn't expect it to show up till 50,000 or 100,000 miles. Dunno...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Slynky is offline   Reply With Quote