View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
ChrisDrift
Base Member

Drives: 370Z
ChrisDrift is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bump an old thread but this is the first thing that comes up on google when you search for 370z engine lifting points so I figured I'd add my 2 cents I used the photos from earlier in this thread as inspiration, but went for something slightly more heavy duty and picked up from 4 of the intake manifold bolts rather than 2. Note that I was only lifting the engine, not the transmission (already removed that separately).

Welded some lifting eyes to some box section:

Put them on the intake manifold bolts like so:

Attached engine hoist hooks:

and she came out

I did struggle at first with one of the engine mounts not lifting up, even though the nut was off it. Turns out it had just glued itself to the subframe with corrosion

So yeah had to attack that with a pry bar for a minute, but after that it was all good.

I saw someone earlier said they used 10.9 grade bolts but I only used 8.8 because when I googled it I discovered even an 8.8 M8 bolt can lift well over a tonne. The one thing I was worried about was the fact that these are aluminium threads we're lifting from... but I figured if it went fine for someone else here only using 2 of the threads then it should be fine for me using 4