View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #3192 (permalink)
Spooler
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Nismo 370z
Spooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
I went through 3 sets of drag radials on my Mustang, heat cycling them out far before any significant wear was on the tires. I would usually just drive that car around on the highways/interstates since that was really the only place I could use its power. On hot days I could smell the tire rubber heat just when I would stop for gas. I aligned it to remove all the toe in the rear (toe is additional friction/heat even when just driving straight), and then I stopped driving it at speeds over 60mph for extended times. The last set of drag radials I put on after that stayed stickier for me for much much longer, they are actually still on the car to this day... though I never drive that car anymore. But I used to only get around 2000-3000 miles of good traction from a new set of tires.

Even after correcting the camber gain, you should still raise your car. Having it low and stiff significantly reduces its ability to transfer weight to the rear, and I will bet that has a more potent effect on the grip than the camber gain. When you keep it higher, the camber gain is also drastically reduced. Justins Z was able to put down 700whp in second gear with 305/35R18 R888s, which we found to be quite incredible. While camber no doubt decreases your contact patch, remember that the pressure on the remaining contact patch goes way up, so when you cut your contact by say 50%, you have not lost 50% of your grip due to the doubled pressure (weight) on the remaining contact patch. Plus the tire will deform more and increase the longitudinal patch a little bit as well.

Is your battery in the back yet? Do anything you can to shift weight to the rear tires.
Yes, the tires are done. I am going to do the pickup point change, reduce camber, and will increase the height. Just got to make some adjustments. We shall see how all this turns out. I am just about 50/50 on weight distribution. Diff cooler and DSS axles in the rear. I am not in a big hurry. I just want to enjoy the car at the moment. I have some bigger fish to fry right now unrelated to car doings.
Spooler is offline   Reply With Quote