View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Spooler
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Nismo 370z
Spooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
700whp is debatably within the realm of stock engine reliability, depending on how much you actually use it at that power and what you used it for. In the typical Z project setup, 700whp usually cannot be put to the pavement. So even after making that on the dyno, you wont generally replicate that type of load unless doing 4th gear + pulls.

IMHO, I would skip the engine build. Too much trouble and expense, too much room for error. I would take all the money I save and just do an all-premium stock engine setup. Maybe grab a backup low miles stock engine to keep in the corner of the garage, ready and waiting for a weekend swap should the original engine ever fail. Set it up to run 600whp daily (which will already roast the tires 99% of the time you try it below 60mph), and have a 675-700whp high power mode for occasional use when it counts.

When your goal is balancing on the tipping point like that, in my opinion, it makes a lot more sense to just dial it back a tiny bit and spare yourself a TON of money and drama over the built engine lifestyle.

After all the chit I have been through I would say that is a good plan of attack. When you build the motor you want more and down the rabbit hole you go. I enjoyed 718hp daily. It was fun. 600whp was boring to me. Maybe I am just a nut.
Spooler is offline   Reply With Quote