View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #6013 (permalink)
RicerX
Track Member

Drives: To the Pizza joint.
RicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4atatime View Post
I don't think overall the price hike is bad if these estimated numbers are correct. However I am a little surprised they might only do the 400hp version in the top trims. I understand you can tune it or buy a JB4 to bring them up to that HP. However I think it would have looked much better for them to have gotten it in the sport trim level. Would have looked great for them to have a ready to go 400hp car for under 40k. Still 43~44k for a 400 hp car isn't bad. Also who's not going to look at this an go I can spend less money and get a NA engine with 10% more HP ? I'm just not understanding the reason for putting the 300hp engine in the new Z.
The breakout of the trims and pricing makes perfect sense - even moreso than the 370Z's pricing ever did, because you're getting something tangibly and measurably better in the top trims that more aligns with what potential buyers might throw their money at. The 300hp version of the VR30DDTT is also cheaper to produce, contributing to a less expensive entry level model.

On the low end, you have a 300hp version that is an improvement over the previous generation car in virtually every way. More tech, more power under the curve, better standard equipment. It will also be price-positioned to play in the BRZ/MX5/EcoBoost Mustang space. The BRZ starts at $28k, and I believe even the 370Z is a superior vehicle (for what is less than 10% more money right now, new for new, base trim to base trim, excluding any available incentives). Whatever vanilla toyota juice gets pumped into the "all new" BRZ doesn't sound like it will even compare to the leap the powertrain will make from the 370 to the new Z. For those that want to mod, the choice will be a no brainer - the Z will have a far higher ceiling than any of those other choices.

On the high end, you'll have a Nismo that makes 100hp+ more (what did so many people gripe about with the current Nismo again?), providing value for costing more and putting it within punching distance of any of the mainstream sports cars in that price range with respect to power output.
We'll also already have a pretty well established aftermarket with AMS and other players that have been active on the Infiniti Red Sport cars.

You'll have a car that's a significant improvement and far more competitive that can compete in two spaces. That's better than what can be said for any point in the 370Z's lifecycle.

While that covers the segment itself, your potential buyer profile also widens. There are those that may be swayed from another brand with the value proposition of the lower end package, and there are those that will be placing a Nismo order the day the books open and bringing it to Z-Con the first chance they get. You can satisfy and retain your cult following of Z buyers (Nissan's first objective as it's their only sure bet on any profitability whatsover) yet allow yourself an opportunity to increase the size of that cult following.

If the car mag in question turns out to be correct, then I will have called this from the beginning and stand by my assessment that this is the right move, and we'll have a Z platform that stands to be in the most potentially profitable position since the Z32. Which brings me to my next prediction -

I think we'll see the return of the 300ZX. I might be wrong, but it would be neat if I wasn't.

Last edited by RicerX; 10-19-2020 at 01:37 PM.
RicerX is offline   Reply With Quote