View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
takemorepills
Base Member

Drives: Q60 3.7 AWD
takemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond reputetakemorepills has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgunZ View Post
I custom fabbed my own turbo for my 2013 ford raptor making 680hp and it has 25k boosted on it without a single hiccup. 🤷
I realize many people have good outcomes with their vehicles when they are modded. It is all dependent on:
quality of parts
knowledge of people doing install
knowledge of tuner
access to appropriate tools (doesn't need to be the best/fanciest tools)
access to fabrication in many cases
time
money

I'm pretty sure you have access to the majority of that, and you definitely know what you are doing.

When I did the LT headers, full exhaust and UpRev tune on my Titan, almost all of the feedback I saw on that was positive. Unfortunately, when I ran in to issues, I found out those were well documented also, however I didn't come across those topics until I searched the specific issues I am having. Such as when I received my parts, I could tell they were poorly fabricated (everyone said "it'll be fine, they all kinda look like that") then the engine codes that indicate exhaust leaks. The incredible hassle of working on a Nissan Titan compared to any of the Big 3 trucks (nearly impossible to do headers on the 4x4 without losing your sanity) and lastly the incredible noise that took 2 UQ resonators to tame (still too loud). Then the tuning...eh, how can the tuner not realize that the left bank of my engine has a persistent exhaust leak (from the crappy headers I bought)?? They kept tuning despite obvious AF imbalances. This has been a bad experience for me. When calculating the cost of having a turbo 370Z, it gets so close to the cost of a new, already FI car (next Z) for the average Joe, that it may be worth considering getting the car that is already boosted AND brand new.

My previous car, a 2016 GTI, all I needed to do was slap on a JB4. Which happens to be available for the VR. I am sold on that approach now.

Also, right now, the market is in turmoil. Parts are hard to get in some cases, I personally have had problems with metal fabricators in my area due to them being fearful of the 'rona, and used car prices are ridiculous.

If I truly could get a first or second year 370Z for under $10K I would DEFINITELY have another go at modifying. For those who already have their Z, that's totally different than considering obtaining a new 370Z then adding boost, when a turbo Z is on the horizon.
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote