View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
TopgunZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 06 350Z , 09 370Z MT
TopgunZ has a reputation beyond reputeTopgunZ has a reputation beyond reputeTopgunZ has a reputation beyond reputeTopgunZ has a reputation beyond reputeTopgunZ has a reputation beyond reputeTopgunZ has a reputation beyond reputeTopgunZ has a reputation beyond reputeTopgunZ has a reputation beyond reputeTopgunZ has a reputation beyond reputeTopgunZ has a reputation beyond reputeTopgunZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchertel View Post
If the car is a good, reliable car and you want to continue to use it as a daily driver then I would recommend not touching it. Installing Stillen's supercharger kit was the biggest mistake I made with my Z. The kit went on at 21k miles I have only had about 7 months trouble free, beyond that modifying this car turned it into the biggest piece of s**t! If you want something reliable that you don't have the mess with every freaking weekend trying to fix issues then don't touch it. If you want a turbo'd or supercharged car I would recommend buying one that has a turbo or SC from the factory. Right now, I am wasting money on insurance for this car because it is in garage with the hood up more than it is on the road.

If you go FI all I can say is good luck and have a backup vehicle to drive. Luckily I have my '98 Ram 1500 that is a thousand times for reliable than this POS Nissan with no thanks to Stillen.
The original Stillen kit can be extremely reliable as long as the install is done correctly and your are after very modest gains. Upgrading to eliminate the shortfalls allows that Vortech based kit to make both very high power and be reliable. Again, do it right the first time and you will have a headache free car. Cutting corners or having a poor install and tune can definitely result in a bad experience.

Most of the guys that have done their homework and put in the time, effort, maintenance and extra money to ensure its done right have left the forum. But there's lots of guys with 10s of thousands of miles on these platforms without an issue.

If you want a "built not bought" car that has supercar performance then do it right. If you want a car that you don't care to know how it works and take it to pennzoil for maintenance then buy an untouched C7 or CTSV, just don't cry when a tuner Z gaps you.

Last edited by TopgunZ; 10-17-2020 at 08:21 PM.
TopgunZ is offline   Reply With Quote